Using the internet and your mobile to chat to people or share ideas is great fun! But it can also be tricky; as you are not face to face, you can never be sure who you are talking to or who can see your pictures or videos.
There are a few simple rules that can help you to have fun, stay safe and keep out of trouble.
- Never publish private information about yourself or people you know.
This includes names, school, where you are, birthday or even your passwords!
- Never arrange to meet alone with someone that you don't know in person.
If you really want to meet up then take a responsible adult.
- Be careful with your pictures and videos and get permission before uploading.
What does your picture give away about you or your friends? Remember, you can't get it back once you post it.
- If someone asks you to do something you are not happy with just say "no" and report it straight away.
- Stop straight away if you read something that upsets you and go and tell your parents about it right away.
- Turn on your MSN message history - it could come in handy.
In messenger go to Tools, Options and look for message history!
- Make your passwords really hard to guess!
Check the strength of your passwords here!
Giving out information about yourself or other people can cause serious trouble - so can posting nasty comments about people online, in emails, on MSN or by text - this is a type of bullying called cyberbullying and can even get you into trouble with the police!
BE CAREFUL, BE POLITE - IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING!
AND remember - it is illegal to try to hack into someone elses account!
There are lots of games and information at the sites below - see what you can learn!
... remember, if you can lie about your age to get onto a site, so can anyone else!
... if you have a problem you can get info on how to report it here ... or you can make a report whenever you click this icon:
Follow these rules and stay safe!